May 5th – World Hand Hygiene Day
Personal hand hygiene rules
Hand washing is a procedure whose task is to clean our hands from excessive microorganisms. It must be carried out before meals (and obligatory before cooking), after contact with animals, after using the toilet and after visiting public places (if you touch something with your hands).
The essence of this procedure is to prevent the spread of microorganisms around your house, because they can be pathogenic. And if you don’t wash your hands after going to the toilet, traveling by public transport or usual going to the store, it is extremely difficult to implement. As a result, microorganisms will accumulate on door handles, switchers, objects, clothes. And an increase in their number will lead to the appearance of various diseases (mainly diseases of the skin, intestines and stomach).
But, in addition to the need to remember about the utility of hand hygiene observation, you also need to know how to perform this procedure correctly. And this question is very relevant, since many people treat with a big indignity to washing their hands. And vainly.
Hand hygiene observation
- After wetting your hands (preferably with warm water), thoroughly lather them and rub (at least 15 seconds). At the same time, you should pay attention to all areas of the hands (the back and inner sides of the palms, between the fingers, the fingers themselves, and even the nails).
- The more foam is formed during washing, the better. It’s not enough just to move a piece of soap around the skin, and then rinse.
- It’s better to remove jewelry before washing your hands, since microorganisms accumulate also under them.
- The problem points after washing hands are turning off the tap and wiping hands. Since a large number of bacteria accumulate on the tap, it is better to use a napkin in public places to turn it off, but at home it is enough to monitor the cleanliness of the tap. And for wiping you need to use a dry and clean towel (pants are not suitable for this purpose, for sure).
- The antibacterial soap (what is written on the packaging) doesn’t practically differ from the ordinary one, but it can be harmful to the skin (it dries up and becomes covered with microcracks). Therefore, it is better to use ordinary soap – it copes with its functions perfectly.
- Choose the hygiene products that are best suited specifically for your skin. In this case, you can not only avoid many health problems, but also save (or even improve) the skin condition of your hands.
Hand washing utility
- Prevention of many diseases arising from the entry of pathogens into the body. This happens in case of eating with unwashed hands (even if they seem to be clean, and even if you don’t touch the food with your hands).
- A significant reduction of the likelihood to contract an infectious disease after visiting public places. Infection can be transmitted through handrails in transport, door handles, money, etc.
- A pleasant smell of hands, a pleasant appearance, moral satisfaction from a feeling of cleanliness and calmness for your health.
Hand hygiene is not just a recommendation that can be neglected. This is a necessity. But, unfortunately, many people do not understand this. And this is one of the reasons why such people face various diseases (most often – infectious). And, what is most unpleasant, they can’t catch the correlation between the lack of proper hand hygiene and the appearing of spots, sores on the skin, or appearing of abdominal pain. Because of this, they face problems that are quite easy to avoid again and again.