- What you can eat
- What you cannot eat
Diabetes is a very serious and dangerous disease that requires ongoing treatment. Together with the use of drug therapy, patients should lead a healthy lifestyle, abandon addictions, do sports. It is equally important to know what you can eat with diabetes, and which products should be discarded altogether.
If there is a significant deterioration in well-being, malaise, constant and, moreover, unquenchable thirst, xerostomia, rapid urination, itching of the skin, especially in the feet and groin, you should immediately contact an endocrinologist and undergo an examination. This symptom signals the development of diabetes.
The disease is certainly dangerous and severe, but it is not a sentence. A lot of people live with an ailment. In order to normalize well-being, maintain a normal level of sugar in the blood and eliminate unpleasant symptoms, you should follow a special diet and know what you can eat for diabetes.
Pathology can develop in both an adult and a child. Often the disease is diagnosed in pregnant women. With proper treatment and a healthy diet, the disease can be controlled.
IT IS IMPORTANT
Non-compliance with medical recommendations, alcohol abuse, smoking, eating harmful products – all this harms the body and is fraught with critical consequences. Diet therapy is indicated for any type of pathology.
What to drink with diabetes
Most patients try to monitor their diet. They do not eat junk food and try to make the food as useful and balanced as possible. But not everyone is watching what beverages they drink. Diabetics should not drink alcoholic beverages, store juices, strong tea, kvass, sweet soda.
If you want to drink, you should give preference to the following drinks:
- still mineral water or purified water;
- unsweetened juices;
- weak teas;
- green tea;
- herbal decoctions and infusions;
- freshly squeezed juices (but only diluted);
- defatted milk products.
Doctors do not recommend patients to drink coffee. But scientists have proved that coffee is rich in useful and necessary substances, including antioxidants that help prevent the development of tumors. Grains are also rich in linoleic acid, which prevents the development of heart attacks, strokes and other pathologies of CVS. Therefore, you can drink coffee with a sugar illness, the main thing is that the coffee is natural and sugar free.
The basic rules of healthy eating
Every diabetic, without exception, should know what to eat in the presence of diabetes. Eating all the food in a row is fraught with a deterioration in overall health.
Any diet, including the diet for sugar disease, has its own characteristics and rules.
Diet therapy is supposed to:
- limiting the intake of carbohydrate products;
- reducing calorie intake;
- the use of fortified foods;
- five to six meals a day;
- meals at the same time;
- enrichment of the diet with natural vitamins – vegetables and fruits (with the exception of sweet, especially persimmons and dates);
- eating food in small portions;
- the exclusion of long periods between meals;
- making a menu taking into account glycemic index of products;
- minimize salt intake;
- refusal to eat fatty, spicy, piquant, fried foods;
- refusal to drink alcohol and sweet soda, as well as convenience foods and fast food;
- sugar substitution with natural sweeteners: fructose, sorbitol, stevia, xylitol;
- the use of boiled, baked in the oven and steamed food.
The right diet is the key to well-being
Diabetics, regardless of the type of disease, should adhere to a proper and healthy diet:
- In order to constantly maintain normal insulin, you need to have a full breakfast.
- Each meal should begin with a salad of vegetables. This contributes to the normalization of metabolic processes and mass correction.
- The last meal should take place no later than three hours before bedtime.
- Eaten food should have a comfortable temperature. With diabetes, you can eat warm and moderately cool dishes.
- Liquids can be drunk either half an hour before meals, or after 30 minutes. Do not drink water or juices during the meal.
- It is important to adhere to the regimen. Eating five to six times a day helps prevent a sharp increase of glucose in blood.
- The diet should be enriched with low-fat fish, dairy products with a low percentage of fat, vegetables and fruits, porridges.
- Diabetics should refuse sugar and any products with its content.
- The optimal daily calorie content is 2400 kcal.
- It is important to monitor the chemical composition of dishes. The share of complex carbohydrates in the daily diet is 50%, protein – 20%, fat – 30%.
- One and a half liters of purified or mineral still water should be consumed in a day.
GI (glycemic index) – what is it?
Each product has its own GI. Otherwise, it is called the "bread unit" – BU. And if nutritional value determines how many nutrients will be converted into energy for the body, then GI is an indicator of the digestibility of carbohydrate products. It indicates how quickly carbohydrate products are absorbed, while increasing blood sugar levels.
What can diabetics eat with diet and meal № 9
Many patients, having heard the word “diet”, regard it as a sentence. They believe that their diet will be limited to a minimum. In fact, this is far from the case. Diet therapy for the disease involves limiting the calorie intake, complex consumption and the exclusion of simple carbohydrates. Nutrition can be both therapeutic and tasty. You just need to know what diabetics can eat.
Eating the right food will help both in weight correction and in maintaining normal insulin levels.
Patients are allowed to consume the following products:
- Bread. Preferably, it is brown bread or products that are intended for diabetics. The daily norm is 300 g. The use of grain, whole grain and Borodinsky bread is also permitted.
- Soups. It is desirable that the first dishes were cooked in vegetable broths.
- Low-fat meat (veal, beef, rabbit, chicken) and fish: pike perch, carp, cod. Any cooking method, only frying is excluded.
- Eggs and omelet. You can eat no more than one egg per day. Abuse of this product is fraught with an increase in cholesterol.
- Dairy products (non-skim milk, farmer cheese, kefir, yogurt, fermented baked milk, natural yoghurts).
- Cheese (unsalted and non-greasy).
- Berries and fruits: grapefruit, raspberries, apples, kiwi. Their consumption helps not only in increasing sugar, but also in lowering harmful cholesterol.
- Vegetables: cabbage, tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, greens.
- Honey (limited).
- Drinks: juices, herbal preparations, mineral water.
All these products can be eaten by diabetics. But the main thing is to observe the norm in everything. Food should not be greasy. Also you can not drink alcohol.
Approved products for people with an insulin-dependent form
The pathology of the first type, or insulin-dependent diabetes, is characterized by severe symptoms, an acute course and is accompanied by increased appetite. In addition to the use of insulin, it is important to know what diabetics can eat. A well-formed diet is the best way to maintain good health and well-being.
The diet of diabetics with the first type of pathology is similar to the diet of patients of the second type. It is allowed to use: non-carbonated mineral water, seafood and fish of low-fat varieties, oat and buckwheat porridge, vegetables, low-fat dairy products, boiled eggs, and dietary meat.
IT IS IMPORTANT
People with diabetes need to unload the body at least once a month and a half, and apply a buckwheat or kefir diet once a week. This will contribute to the correction of body weight and prevent complications of the disease.
Meal № 9 for pathology
Most often, patients are prescribed compliance with dietary meal № 9. Diet involves six meals a day, the exclusion of fat content, fried foods, spicy foods, smoked meats, salty foods and sweets. The energy value of the daily diet should not exceed 2500 kcal. You can eat diabetics food prepared in any way, with the exception of frying.
What is prohibited with diabetes: allowed and prohibited products, sample menu
Every person suffering from a serious illness should know what is prohibited with diabetes. Abuse of harmful products is fraught with deterioration.
The products presented in the list should be discarded:
- Sugars. Recommended to be replaced with sweeteners.
- Baking. Such food is categorically not recommended. In addition to being rich in sugar, it is also high in calories, which doesn’t have a very good effect on blood glucose.
- Fatty meat and fish products.
- Smoked dishes and canned food. Such products have a high glycemic index.
- Fats of animal origin, mayonnaise.
- Dairy with a high percentage of fat.
- Semolina and cereal-based products, as well as pasta.
- Vegetables. Certain vegetables can not be eaten with diabetes, but if you can’t stand, you should limit their consumption as much as possible: potatoes, fried zucchini.
- Sweet fruit.
- Drinks: sweet soda, concentrated or shop juices, compotes, strong black tea.
- Snacks, seeds, chips.
- Sweets. For any type of diabetes, in particular for gestational, the use of ice cream, jam, milk chocolate is prohibited.
- Alcohol drinks
Allowed and prohibited products:
Proper nutrition along with the introduction of insulin is the key to good health. Adhere to a diet, as well as apply medicines the patient should all his life. This is the only way to maintain normal blood sugar. What can be eaten and what cannot be eaten with diabetes.
- purified water or mineral water;
- weak tea, coffee;
- green peas;
- green beans;
Eating is possible:
- legumes (peas, beans, lentils);
- low-fat cheeses;
- dairy products with a low percentage of fat;
- low-fat cooked sausage;
- meat and fish products.
Eating is prohibited:
- sweets (ice cream, jam, lollipops, cookies);
- sunflower seeds;
- canned food;
- smoked and sausage products;
- fatty meat and fish products;
- fatty dairy products;
- animal fats.
How to replace harmful products
Patients are prohibited from eating high-calorie foods, since such products provoke the progression of the disease and the deterioration of the effects of drugs.
Harmful products can be replaced by useful ones, suitable in composition:
- White bread can be replaced with rye flour products.
- Sweets and desserts – berries and diabetic desserts.
- Animal fats – vegetable fats.
- Fatty meat products and cheeses – low-fat products, avocados.
- Cream – low-fat dairy products.
- Ice cream – hard cheeses, seafood, legumes.
- Beer – fermented milk products, beef, eggs.
- Sweet soda – beets, carrots, legumes.
- Sausage – dairy products.
Approximate weekly menu
You can create a menu for every day or immediately for the whole week on your own, taking into account what is allowed and what is prohibited with diabetes. Below is an approximate menu for the week.
The first day.
- Morning meal: salad with cucumber and cabbage, oatmeal, weak tea.
- Snack: apple or kefir.
- Dinner meal: vegetable soup, squash casserole, stewed fruit.
- Snack: farmer cheese casserole.
- Evening meal: buckwheat porridge, boiled chicken fillet, juice.
The second day.
- Breakfast: milk pumpkin porridge, kissel.
- Snack: galettes.
- Lunch: lean borsch, millet porridge with baked pollock fillet, green tea.
- Snack: curdled milk.
- Dinner: marrow stew, kefir.
The third day
- Morning meal: boiled egg, cheese sandwich, coffee.
- Snack: baked apple.
- Dinner meal: fish soup, buckwheat porridge, steamed chicken meatballs, tomato juice.
- Snack: orange.
- Evening meal: milk rice porridge, boiled shrimp, fermented baked milk.
The fourth day.
- Breakfast: scrambled eggs, cheese sandwich, tea.
- Snack: salad with tomatoes, cucumbers and bell peppers.
- Dinner meal: cabbage, baked fish, compote.
- Snack: raspberry jelly.
- Evening meal: boiled turkey, tomato juice.
The fifth day.
- Morning meal: baked pumpkin, apple compote.
- Snack: one apple.
- Lunch: mushroom soup, oatmeal, carrot juice.
- Snack: kefir.
- Dinner: lazy cabbage rolls, curdled milk.
The sixth day.
- Morning meal: farmer cheese, coffee.
- Snack: apple juice and biscuits.
- Dinner meal: soup with slices of chicken and buckwheat, baked hake, compote.
- Snack: vegetable salad.
- Evening meal: steam beef cutlet, oatmeal, carrot juice.
The seventh day.
- Breakfast: pumpkin porridge, green tea.
- Snack: any permitted fruit.
- Dinner meal: soup with rice, peppers stuffed with chicken, tomato juice.
- Snack: vegetable salad, cheese sandwich.
- Dinner: buckwheat porridge, stewed cabbage, kefir.
There may be six meals. But the main thing is that the last meal should be no later than three hours before bedtime.
Diet therapy for diabetes is not difficult, but necessary. The list of permitted products is rather large, so the diet will not be monotonous. The main thing is to understand that a healthy diet with an ailment is the key to good health and maintaining normal blood sugar level.
4th City Clinical Hospital named after M. Saŭčanka Šablinskaja V.